New Patio Project With Sweetstone (Pt.1)

Mike and I have been tired of our old, improperly poured patio for some time. We have tossed around numerous ideas over the years, but this year after all the additional stone work our wonderful friends at Sweetstone (Sweetstone FB Page) have helped us with, we knew we wanted to have them on board to help us tie everything together

We started with a slab surrounded by several sinking slabs that had been poured around it.

This photo shows an old foundation for a structure that had long since failed.
Our goal will be to raise the patio to allow us to exit our home without an additional step, while tying the aesthetics of the patio in with the surrounding landscape.
We decided we wanted to set some boulders into the patio to "soften" the edge of the pour. To  help tie the boulders into the landscape, we decided the boulders should be large grey basalt and so our quest for great boulders began.

We thought about these pre-cut geometric forms as a  juxtaposition to the curved edges of the patio, but, quickly passed on that idea.

These stones were cut for a project on the Vancouver waterfront

I went to the quarry with Kevin and Teresa of Sweetstone and we fell in love with some nice boulders.
Kevin selecting a boulder

Some of the boulders screamed "Sit on me"

Teresa selecting a boulder




Sometimes the vision in your head needs to be flexible,  and sometimes things just come together.

...and then the boulders arrived!!


I was so excited when they arrived!!

Demo Day:

After weeks of debate, and deciding on a plan, our much anticipated demo day is finally here.
Of course, a jack hammer was needed
Teresa is a go-getter!! 

We of course took turns with this task.  Here it was Kevin's turn
 
 After the existing concrete had been broken up it was time to bring in the big equipment, which arrived late in the day 3:45 pm..  but it did arrive! So we worked late!
Yay!!

Stay tuned for more,

Thanks!




 

Comments

  1. Oh boy, this is so exciting - it's gonna be great! Keep it coming - I love a good process post.
    ~ Anna K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale— Inspiring! Excited for you. Fun to get this glimpse into your equally inspiring contractors (personal for me because I’m always encouraged by a woman in creative construction). But also—your blog writing is motivating me to tell one of my patio-laying projects. Don’t know why I’ve been shy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would love to hear about your project.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! We are about to have a new patio built too. It is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It is so exciting. Now we just need a dry day for the pour.

      Delete
  4. Ah. a new project is always fun. We have a huge crack in the older portion of our cement patio so I have a feeling next year I'll have a similar post on my blog. I can't wait to see your results.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts